We are very pleased to have with an opportunity to acquaint the Green Chamber of Commerce with Valley of the Sun Clean Cities Coalition, and explore areas where our organizations may complement one another perfectly.
Clean Cities is the U.S. Department of Energy’s flagship alternative-transportation deployment initiative, sponsored by the Vehicle Technologies Program and chartered by the U.S. Department of Energy, under the dual national initiatives of the Energy Policy Act and the Clean Air Act. As one out of one hundred coalitions across the country, our ultimate goal is achieve clean air and energy security within our jurisdiction of Maricopa, La Paz, Mohave, Yavapai, and Coconino counties.
Our focus is rather narrowed in on the reduction of petroleum motor fuel; however, this single cause impacts key areas of our community’s well-being in the following ways:
- Improves the quality of the air we breathe and improves the quality of our aquifers
- Helps maintain the air quality standards enforced by the Environmental Protection Agency
- Preserves capital that is currently being sent out of the state to purchase petroleum fuel
- Supports job creation within the valley
- Promotes energy security during a time of very fragile petroleum infrastructure
We work closely with the distributors and consumers of natural gas, biodiesel, propane, ethanol, and electricity. The VSCCC’s stakeholder fleets operate nearly 7,000 alternative fuel vehicles and displace approximately 30 million gallons of petroleum fuel annually with alternative fuels. According to data collected in a 2009 survey, this represents 10% of the annual consumption of alternative transportation fuel in the U.S.
Other areas that we have supported beyond the use of alternative fuel:
- The continually growing METRO Light Rail and METRO Bus system
- Arizona Department of Environmental Quality in continuing the very successful school bus idle-reduction program
- Promotion of favorable clean energy legislation through continuous interaction with our State Legislature
- Support in the development of infrastructure to serve the needs of vehicles operation on electricity, biofuels, natural gas and propane.
We work closely with related organizations such as the Rocky Mountain Fleet Managers Association. We participate in RMFMA’s Arizona programs by showcasing and informing a fleet manager group that covers Arizona and eleven additional states on new alternative fuel vehicles and related technology.
On alternating years, we work with APS, SRP and Tucson Electric Power in hosting a legislative breakfast which is conducted in a huge event tent on the front lawn of the State Capitol. In addition to setting up shop on their front lawn, we block off 17th Ave in front of the Capitol to display the latest in alternative fuel vehicles (commercial and personal vehicles).
We are very happy to add our expertise in the automotive and alternative fuel field to compliment the efforts of the Green Chamber of Commerce in creating a greener, healthier, and more productive Phoenix, Arizona.
By Michael Grossman, Chair of the Board, The Green Chamber